After the flames die and the fire has been extinguished, toxins from fumes and soot linger on the surface of the firefighter’s personal protective equipment, mask, and skin. It is imperative that personal protective equipment be properly cleaned and handled so potential toxins are not spread to other people in transportation vehicles, fire stations, or their homes. Just as decontamination is the only way to remove toxins from PPE, showering immediately after the incident is the only way to remove toxins from the skin. It’s therefore fair to conclude that a professional firefighter does not need to be portrayed as “dirty and sooty” – but rather as someone who dons clean PPE and conscientiously follows the necessary safe-handling workflow routines. This is how they save their own lives, in addition to the lives of others.